Follow these tips to help save your life & property from fire:
- For minimum protection, install a smoke detector outside of each bedroom or sleeping area in your home. Keep your bedroom doors closed while you are asleep. Better, install detectors on every level of your home.
- Keep your smoke detectors properly maintained. Test them once a week to ensure that the detectors are working properly.
- Every Spring and Fall when you change your clocks, remember to change your smoke alarm batteries. Use only the type of batteries recommended on the detector.
- Develop an escape plan and review the plan with all members of the family frequently. Be aware that children and elderly people may need special assistance should a fire occur. Establish a meeting place outside the house for all members of the family to ensure that everyone gets out safely. When a fire occurs, get out of the house and use a neighbor’s telephone to notify the Fire Department.
- Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years – this includes most hardwired, but follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific smoke detectors.
- If you need a smoke detector, please call BCFD and we will be happy to provide one. If you are in the city limits of Bolivar, we will come out and install it. If you are in Polk County, you can come by and pick one up. Limit 3 per residence, not for commercial properties.