Follow these tips to help save your life & property from fire:
- For minimum protection, install a smoke detector outside of each bedroom or sleeping area in your home. Keep your bedroom doors closed while you are asleep. Better, install detectors on every level of your home.
- Keep your smoke detectors properly maintained. Test them once a week to ensure that the detectors are working properly.
- Every Spring and Fall when you change your clocks, remember to change your smoke alarm batteries. Use only the type of batteries recommended on the detector.
- Develop an escape plan and review the plan with all members of the family frequently. Be aware that children and elderly people may need special assistance should a fire occur. Establish a meeting place outside the house for all members of the family to ensure that everyone gets out safely. When a fire occurs, get out of the house and use a neighbor’s telephone to notify the Fire Department.
- Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years – this includes most hardwired, but follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific smoke detectors.